Tuesday 7 January 2014

6, 7 and 8

Kindness is an orientation, or at least it can become one. 

Many years ago I met Trevor Dech, owner and head instructor at Too Cool Motorcycle School. Trevor said many powerful things during the classroom portion of the training, things which have stuck with me to this day, one being:

Look to be pleasantly surprised, as a car passes you, assume they are going to cut you off and be ready for it - if they don't, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

There are very few places with more opportunity for RAK than behind the wheel of your vehicle, a point not wasted on me as of late. 

Heading south on Sarcee Trail towards the main traffic artery of Crowchild Trail on my way to work at church I find myself instinctively checking my rear view mirror for the jumping duck; those who jump up mad speed the outside lane only to duck and cut off into the exit ramp lane they knew wanted at the back of the line. A little Subaru screams up alongside me and I slow to allow them to take the exit ramp ahead of me. Now, should you be the recipient of such a RAK, you can shoot one back with a thank-you wave... I didn't get one. 

Driving with a RAK orientation is much less stressful as you look for people to let in front of you. 

As I approach the church I saw another Subaru trapped in a lane that ended, only the vehicles in the continuing lane we're not moving over, forcing my friend I'm the little blue hatch back to either side swipe into a car or drive into a concrete barricade, this was not their morning and so I slowed and allowed them to merge.

A person who is good to you but is a jerk in traffic isn't a good person.

I rolled into church feeling pretty mellow though saddened as I had taken a RAK to a dumb move as I quickly performed my morning ritual of emptying the dishwasher and in my hurry dropped a hand painted wine glass I bought my wife for Christmas. I could see the wince in my wife's face when she said "it doesn't matter." It did, and my heart felt yucky as I said my goodbyes to the lingering congregants ant church and headed to my car. 

"I just knew." Have you ever had that feeling? As though some force was guiding you to choose A over B? I know it well, and have bucked it on,y to fall flat on my face. I was feeling that, it was telling me to buy my bride a new glass. After fighting for a parking spot and engaging in numerous vehicular RAKs I gave my wife the new glass. While she said, "I wasn't mad" I knew she was hurt and I saw the hurt in her face and now I saw a little joy take its place.

RAK where you live and you'll find you live a happier life.

Driver trainers will tell you to get out of a skid you need to look to where you want to go and so as you go about your day for better or worse look for opportunities to share a RAK and know that each act resets your orientation to one of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment